Back to Blog
As I was wrapping up my PhD and welcoming Daya into the world last year, I had no idea what was in store. After Anne was offered a job at Baruch College in March 2016, things began to become clearer, but I was still not sure what I would do. As we were packing up and moving to NYC, I ended up being offered a position adjunct teaching at Queens College. This was a great opportunity that has led to more teaching opportunities at Queens College the past year and a half. At the beginning of 2017, though, I got the exciting news that a new project I had been seeking funding for with Kris Stenzel and Barbara Fox was going to be awarded a grant from the NSF Documenting Endangered Languages Program. This project officially started in May 2017 and will run to October 2020. After some initial false starts, we now have all the official permissions from the Brazilian authorities and Daya and I will be heading down to Brazil in February for our first field trip. Kris has already been once and is going again in November. The project is off to a great start. We have tons of data which I've been managing for the project. I'll be reporting here on our progress as well as posting on topics relevant to language documentation, language and social interaction, Amazonian languages, and other related topics.